Norwich theatre group set to perform musical version of A Christmas Carol
- Credit: Richard Jarmy
A special musical production of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is being brought to the stage in Norwich this festive season.
The classic tale of Ebenezer Scrooge and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future is set to be performed with a live band, singing and dancing and all the festive trimmings at Norwich School's Daynes Sports Centre from December 20 to 31.
It is the latest show by Norwich-based amateur theatre company Planet Theatre Productions which previously performed Return to the Forbidden Planet at the Maddermarket Theatre and The Producers at Norwich Puppet Theatre.
Peter Beck, the director of A Christmas Carol - The Musical, said: 'I have been humbled by the enthusiasm and talents of this community theatre team, who together are producing a really high class show for Norwich this Christmas.'
Among the cast is David Rees, who is playing Ebenezer Scrooge, and Gavin Bromley, who is playing Scrooge's clerk Bob Cratchet, and some of their fellow cast members include two groups of talented young performers aged six to 11 years old.
You may also want to watch:
Ten-year-old Darcie Mann, who is sharing the role of Tiny Tim with 11-year-old Max Desmedt, said: 'I'm looking forward to all the singing in this show and sharing happiness with the audience.'
This amateur production of A Christmas Carol - The Musical features music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, and book by Mike Ockrent and Lynn Ahrens.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 7 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 8 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 9 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
The original professional Broadway version premiered in 1994 at New York's Paramount Theatre in Madison Square Garden and was performed there annually until 2003. It was turned into a television adaptation in 2004 starring Kelsey Grammer as Ebenezer Scrooge, and a stage version premiered at the Lyceum Theatre in London in 2016 starring Robert Lindsay.
Planet Theatre Productions' A Christmas Carol - The Musical is at Norwich School's Daynes Sports Centre, just off Tombland, from December 20 to 31 (excluding December 24–26). Tickets £10-£15. To book, visit www.planettheatreproductions.co.uk
Father Christmas will also be paying a visit to Daynes Sports Centre on December 23 from 12.30pm until 2pm.