Norwich rapper Context explains how he got chosen for the Radio 1 Big Weekend
- Credit: Archant
He's collaborated with Ed Sheeran, has been in the studio with the Disciples, and now former Wymondham College-student Context is performing at the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Norwich.
The London-based rapper, whose real name is George Musgrave, has been asked to take to the stage at Earlham Park on Saturday, May 23 on the BBC Introducing Stage.
The 28 year old, who has a Phd in politics and economics, describes his style as UK rap.
Performing among other up-and-coming artists, Context said he would be on stage for about 25 minutes and would perform about six tracks.
'I was given a call out of the blue saying the BBC were going to announce the Big Weekend.
'They said, 'it's in Norwich, we have to have you involved', and I said 'lovely!'.'
Context started off his music career as a student, when he took part in rap battles at the former Sonic nightclub on Prince of Wales Road, now Mojos.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 5 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 6 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 7 Norfolk hotel set to launch five romantic orchard cabins next year
- 8 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 9 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 10 Norfolk Labour website tells people not to vote for party
He filmed a music video with East Anglia's own Ed Sheeran, was signed to EMI Music and moved to London three years ago.
But the singer still remembers his roots, and remains friends with his Wymondham College schoolmates.
He said it was nice the BBC recognised the thriving music scene in Norwich by featuring local bands.
'The Big Weekend is not just great for me it's great for the city. Norwich sometimes gets overlooked.'
Context's latest single In The Bag, is out after the Big Weekend.
To hear Context's music visit www.contextmc.co.uk