Norwich City chairman Ed Balls set to become first male politician to take part in Strictly Come Dancing
- Credit: Steve Adams
Norwich City chairman Ed Balls has reportedly signed up to take part in Strictly Come Dancing 2016 alongside the likes of Will Young and Louise Redknapp who are also believed to be joining the show.
Former Labour shadow chancellor Ed Balls stated in an interview with the BBC in 2015 that he didn't feel 'equipped for Strictly', however time seems to have changed his mind, as he will reportedly be putting on his dancing shoes this year and taking to television to perform in the hit ballroom show.
The ex-MP is set to become the first male politician to sign on for a series of the programme, following in the footsteps of former conservative MPs Ann Widdecombe and Edwina Currie. Sir Vince Cable, Secretary of State for Business between 2010 and 2015, and a keen ballroom dancer, took part in a one off Christmas Special episode in 2010 but could not appear in a full series due to other commitments.
The 49-year-old is no novice when it comes to the limelight, having previously taken part in The Great Sport Relief Bake Off, where he was a firm favourite with viewers but sadly lost out to Girls Aloud singer Kimberley Walsh whose Kilimanjaro cake stole the show, and last year revealed that he had also been offered a chance to appear on ITV's I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here after the election in May.
As for his dancing skills, the father-of-three proved he can move back in 2014 when he was caught on camera doing a rendition of Psy's Gangnam Style at a Labour Party conference in Manchester.
You may also want to watch:
Strictly's autumn series will coincide with the release of Mr Balls' memoir of his time in politics, 'Speaking Out - Lessons In Life And Polictics' which is set to come out on September 8.
Other stars believed to be joining Ed Balls on this season of Strictly Come Dancing include actress Lesley Joseph, singer Will Young, TV presenters Laura Whitmore and Louise Redknapp, and former royal butler Paul Burrell.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life
- 10 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
• How do you think Ed Balls will fare on Strictly? Share your thoughts in the comments below.