Norwich Cathedral announces The Tempest for its 2018 Shakespeare Festival
- Credit: Archant
A Shakespearean tale of shipwreck and enchantment will be taking to the Norwich Cathedral stage for the historic venue's annual summer festival celebrating the great wordsmith.
All-male theatre company The Lord Chamberlain's Men will be returning to Norwich to perform The Tempest in the cathedral's cloisters on Friday, July 13 and Saturday, July 14 for the Shakespeare Festival which is now in its tenth year.
The play sees a violent sea storm shipwreck a king and his court onto a remote island where nothing is as it seems.
Meanwhile, elsewhere on that same mysterious island a magician called Prospero begins to tell his daughter Miranda the story of who they really are and how this place became their home.
James Shelton, marketing manager at Norwich Cathedral, said the venue was delighted to be welcoming back The Lord Chamberlain's Men who last year entertained the festival's audiences with The Comedy of Errors and previously performed Much Ado About Nothing, Twelfth Night and Romeo and Juliet at the venue.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'Audiences over recent years have left beaming with smiles, praising the quality of their performance. It's therefore fantastic news for us to have been able to secure a prime summer weekend in their touring schedule.
'I think it's fair to say that the cathedral has also become a special venue for them as a touring company and one that they always look forward to returning to.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 7 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 8 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 9 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 10 New vintage store opens bigger premises
'For anyone yet to attend the Shakespeare Festival, you can expect an open air production in the beautiful surrounding of the cathedral cloisters, performed by an all-male cast with Elizabethan costumes, music and dance.
'It's a real treat and so we hope to welcome sell-out crowds once again this year.'
The Tempest will be performed in Norwich Cathedral's cloisters at 7pm on Friday, July 13 and Saturday, July 14.
Tickets cost £20 (£18 for concessions).
For more information and to book tickets, visit www.cathedral.org.uk/shakespeare
You can also book tickets by calling the Norwich Theatre Royal box office on 01603 630000.
For more information about The Lord Chamberlain's Men, visit www.tlcm.co.uk