Norwich actress set to tread the boards in festival at Shakespeare’s Globe
- Credit: submitted
A Norwich actress is to tread the boards at Shakespeare's Globe in London on Sunday during the Sam Wanamaker Festival.
Joy Cruickshank, who grew up in Norwich and went to Hillside Avenue Primary School and Thorpe St Andrew School, is one of 38 drama students taking part in the festival which celebrates young acting talent.
Miss Cruickshank, 23, who is in the final year of the BA Acting course at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, said: 'I am extremely excited to have the opportunity to perform on the Globe stage. When I first heard about the Sam Wanamaker festival as a child, I wanted to be a part of it. I feel incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to be part of the festival and perform on the hallowed grounds of the Globe where Shakespeare once performed.
'I hope I get to perform at the Globe again professionally as Shakespeare is one of my biggest passions as an actress.'
The Sam Wanamaker Festival sees students present scenes by Shakespeare and his contemporaries on the Globe stage to Shakespeare enthusiasts, students and artist agents. Miss Cruickshank will be appearing in an excerpt of the Shakespearean tragedy Macbeth. The grand finale of the festival sees the students join together in a jig, a Globe tradition.
You may also want to watch:
Famous faces who took part in the festival when they were students include Michelle Dockery, who played Lady Mary Crawley in Downton Abbey, and Golden Globe and BAFTA-nominated Andrew Garfield whose films include The Amazing Spiderman, Never Let Me Go and The Social Network.
For more, visit www.shakespearesglobe.com
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Former village pub for sale as home
- 5 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 6 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 7 Before and after: How has Norwich changed over the years?
- 8 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 9 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 10 Fit for a king or queen: 'Castle' for sale at auction for £650,000
Do you have an arts story? Email email@example.com