North Walsham beatboxer signs Universal record deal
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Norfolk beatboxer has landed a major record deal.
Tom Povey, 21, known as Intensi-T, grew up in Earlham and North Walsham and signed a contract with the Universal label on Wednesday in front of his artist father and one of his brothers.
The former North Walsham High School and Paston Sixth Form College student first became interested in beatboxing aged 15 following a school workshop.
His first performance was at Sheringham Little Theatre in 2008 aged 15, with three other budding performers, including Britain's Got Talent finalist Sam Kelly.
Tom said: 'I never imagined I would get a deal in a million years. It has been a steady climb.
'It was really nice to have my dad and brother there.'
He added he always loved making music and first became seriously interested after starting guitar and drumming lessons aged 11.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 7 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 8 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 9 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 10 A47 reopens after serious crash
After playing in school bands he focused on beatboxing - producing drum beats, rhythm and musical sounds through the voice - after the creative school workshop.
He started busking and performing around Norfolk from the age of 16.
Tom, who started rapping on top of his beatboxing last year, headlined the poetry tent at Latitide Festival this year which he said was fun. It was his third year at the Suffolk arts festival.
He performed at T4 on the Beach at Weston-Super-Mare alongside Nicola Roberts from Girls Aloud in front of 50,000 people.
Other artists Tom has performed with include Ed Sheeran at the Waterfront, Norwich, in 2010, and Rizzle Kicks.
Tom said: 'Working with Ed Sheeran inspired me to keep going because I knew it was possible to succeed.'
He will be performing as part of the So Solid UK tour, which will be coming to the Waterfront in Norwich on October 2. The tour will also be going to Sheffield, Birmingham and the O2 Arena.
Tom has written about 30 songs and has enough for an album. He added he is already thinking about a second album.
He described his music as 'distinctive' and writes happy songs based on real life and experiences.
Tom is currently working on his first single and lives partly in London.