North Norfolk Chorale to celebrate Benjamin Britten at Gresham’s School
- Credit: Archant
One of East Anglia's oldest choral societies will be performing Benjamin Britten classics in Holt this weekend.
The North Norfolk Chorale will be putting on A Celebration of English Music in the Auden Theatre, Gresham's School, on Saturday from 7.30pm.
It will be taking place a day after the birthday of Britten who attended the Holt school for two years from 1928-1930. This year is the centenary of his birth.
As well as works by the celebrated English composer, the concert will include music by his contemporaries and composers who influenced him.
These include Henry Purcell, George Frederick Handel, Gerald Finzi, C H H Parry, C V Stanford, Arthur Sullivan and John Rutter.
The choir will perform A Hymn to the Virgin, composed by Britten while he was a pupil at Gresham's, and Rejoice in the Lamb, composed in 1943.
Former ITN political correspondent Michael Brunson will introduce each musical piece.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 3 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 4 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 5 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 6 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 7 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 8 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 9 Woman 'shocked' after brick thrown through living-room window
- 10 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
The choir will be accompanied by a string quartet as well as Henry Macey on the piano and conducted by Rosemary Kimmins.
Soloists will be soprano Jayne May-Sysum, mezzo soprano Freya Jacklin, tenor Daniel Bartlette and bass Tom Appleton.
Tickets are priced at £12 in advance and £14 on the door, and are available from the Auden box office, which is open Monday to Friday from 12.30 – 2pm.
For more information email email@example.com or ring 01263 713444.
The North Norfolk Chorale was founded as the North Walsham Choral Society in 1873.
? A concert to mark the centenary birthday of one England's most celebrated composers will be held this Friday.
The free Benjamin Britten Concert for St Cecilia's Day will be taking place in the Gresham's School chapel in Holt on November 22 at 8pm.
It will feature instrumental and choral music and will include Hymn to the Virgin which was written by Britten during his time at the Holt school.
For more information about events at Gresham's visit www.greshams.com or call 01263 713444.