Norfolk singer features in Tesco’s latest festive advert
- Credit: supplied by Joe Ringer
A Norfolk singer's slow jazz version of Shakin' Stevens' classic Christmas hit features on the latest festive advert from supermarket giant Tesco.
Joe Ringer can be heard singing his unique version of Merry Christmas Everyone in the newest #EveryonesWelcome television commercial from the retailer.
It is entitled 'A 'Save The Day' Christmas' and highlights the work of the emergency services including the police and paramedics.
Mr Ringer, 33, a former Costessey High School pupil who grew up in Bowthorpe and now lives in Swardeston, originally recorded the song at a friend of a friend's recording studio in London over one hour in mid September.
The singer, who previously worked as a graphic designer at Archant before pursuing a full-time music career, said he was delighted to find out last month that Tesco had picked it for one of their adverts.
You may also want to watch:
'About three or four weeks ago I found out that they really liked the track and that they would be using that version for the advert,' he said.
'I was really surprised. I did not even have to go and re-record it. They kept my vocals and they recorded the backing track with a 50-piece orchestra in Abbey Road.'
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 6 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 9 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 10 Tributes to Norwich mum who died from breast cancer aged 47
He said it was both exciting and surreal to be featured on the advert.
'It's nice to know they really appreciated what I did with the track,' he said.
'It's weird to hear my voice on TV. It's really surreal everytime I hear the advert start.'
As well as playing a key role in the festive commercial, Mr Ringer is also busy preparing for a Christmas show with his band at Norwich Playhouse.
The Joe Ringer Band: Christmas Spectacular will take to the city venue's stage on December 19 and 20.
The band and guest vocalists will be transporting the audience into a magical winter wonderland and performing an array of festive favourites from Bing Crosby to Michael Bublé and from Silent Night to Fairytale Of New York.
'It will be a fun night for everyone. There will be audience participation, singing, dancing, just a real festive treat!' Mr Ringer said
Watch the Tesco advert featuring Joe Ringer at www.eveningnews24.co.uk
For more about the The Joe Ringer Band: Christmas Spectacular at Norwich Playhouse on December 19 and 20, visit www.norwichplayhouse.co.uk