Norfolk Harry Potter stars in the running for Broadway awards
- Credit: Charlie Gray
After being part of the original spellbinding cast for the Harry Potter plays in the West End, two Norfolk actors are now wowing audiences in New York's Broadway productions and are in the running for some special awards.
Sam Clemmett, from Brundall, and Poppy Miller, from Norwich, are among seven members of the original London cast of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two who have been reunited on stage for the Broadway versions of the shows which officially opened at New York's Lyric Theatre last month.
Sam, a former Thorpe St Andrew School pupil, once again plays Harry Potter's son Albus, while Poppy, a former Hewett School pupil and who has previously appeared in shows at the Maddermarket Theatre, has returned to the role of Harry Potter's wife Ginny.
And now both actors are shortlisted for Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards which will be decided by an online public vote.
Poppy, who has been nominated for Favourite Featured Actress in a Play, has tweeted: 'It's just lovely to get an audience choice nomination! Thank you.'
You may also want to watch:
Sam, who is patron of the Norwich-based MoCo Theatre Company, has been nominated in the Favourite Featured Actor In A Play category and also in the Favourite Onstage Pair category alongside his co-star Anthony Boyle who plays Scorpius Malfoy.
About the nominations, Sam tweeted: 'Well this is very lovely indeed...thanks so much everyone!'
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 6 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 9 Do you recognise this man?
- 10 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
Sam is an alumnus of the Norwich Theatre Royal arts courses.
John Bultitude, from the theatre, said: 'We are all really excited that Sam has been nominated for two awards for his work on Broadway. To have homegrown talent now become a big name across the Atlantic on Broadway and hopefully beyond is fantastic news, and it's a great testament to the team here at the Theatre Royal who have trained generations of young people.'
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two is also shortlisted for Favourite New Play and in total the show and its individual cast members have received 10 nominations.
Voting for the Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards is open now at www.broadway.com and closes on May 14. The winners will be announced on May 24.