Nine things to do in Norfolk this Bank Holiday weekend
- Credit: Archant
Here's a quick guide to some of the events taking place across Norfolk on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Saturday 28 May
• Wymondham Town Busking Day, Market Place, 11am-2pm, free entry
Are you harbouring a musical talent? This Saturday, Norfolk musicians will be heading to Wymondham for the town busking day, where they will be performing all over the town centre as part of the Wymondham Music Festival. Registration for the event is still open, call 01953 33500 to sign up.
• Festival of the Blues, Blickling Hall, 3pm-9pm, tickets £10, children under 5 go free
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 5 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 10 All I want for Christmas is... a twinkling tractor with fairy lights
To celebrate bluebell season, Blickling has been bathed in blue and this weekend will see the events end with an afternoon of blues music in the garden. Pack a picnic, grab a rug and enjoy live music by Quiet Stars, Hot Cold Ground and Hayley Moyses Britgrass Three.
• Houghton International Horse Trials, Houghton Hall and Gardens, 8am-8pm, adults £13, children £5
Set in the grounds of Houghton Hall, the Horse Trials are packed with sporting action, entertainment and shopping, with over 70 trade stands, more than 700 horses and over 350 international competitors. This year the event's official charity is Walking With the Wounded, a military organisation which will be hosting a cricket match on the 28 May from 5pm-10pm with teams consisting of a mixture of top international riders and wounded veterans.
Sunday 29 May
• North Norfolk Country Fair, George Weston Community Field, Weybourne, 10am-6pm, Adults £3.50, Under 15's go free
The North Norfolk Country Fair will be taking place this weekend with arena entertainment scheduled throughout the day, including falconry, ferret racing, lurcher racing, hunt hounds and a jazz band. Other attractions will include a military display with WW2 battle re-enactment, classic cars, rides, a car boot sale as well as various arts and craft stalls.
• Downham Market Sunday Funday, Howdale Road, 12pm-4pm
The Downham Market Festival is in full swing and on Sunday will be hosting two different events - a car and vehicle show and a dog and pet show. If those aren't enough to keep you entertained, there will also be rides, inflatables, a raffle and refreshments.
• Hemsby Fireworks Display, Hemsby Beach, 10pm, free entry A free aerial firework display will be held in Hemsby this Sunday evening for all to enjoy. The fireworks will be let off from the beach but will easily be seen from anywhere along the stretch of Beach Road. Shops, eateries and attractions in the town will also be open throughout the evening.
Monday 30 May
• Fairy Fair, Sennowe Park, Guist, 10am-5pm, tickets £10, under 3's go free
The annual Fairy Fair, which encourages people to reconnect with nature, returns over the 29 and 30 May for its 15th year with a host of magical themed workshops, activities, live music, food, drink and entertainment, including story tellers, craft stalls and walkabout performers.
• Medieval Re-enactment, Castle Rising Castle, from 10am onwards, adults £7, children £4 Throughout the day on Monday, a series of re-enactments and tournaments will be held at Castle Rising Castle, a stone keep built in around 1140ad. The main battle of the day, a big finale is scheduled to take place at around 4.30pm.
• Country Day, Bircham Windmill, Great Bircham, from 10am onwards, adults £3.50, season ticket holders £2.50, children go free
A whole host of events will be taking place at Bircham Windmill this Bank Holiday Monday for their annual Country Day. Attractions will include, morris dancing, sheep agility, sheep dog demonstrations, horse dressage demonstrations, children's show jumping, pony rides and craft stalls.
• Are you hosting a local event? You can submit it as a listing on our website here.