Night Magic show set to take audiences on an after dark adventure in the Adnams Spiegeltent
- Credit: James Miller Photography
A curious after-dark theatrical adventure into the unknown is being conjured up for festival-goers heading to the late-night show Night Magic.
Norwich-based Hocus Pocus Theatre and Gossamer Thread's Vaudeville Co. have joined forces for the cabaret extravaganza with a twist which is inspired by turn-of-the century spiritualism, Victorian sideshows and the golden era of vaudeville.
The audience will be initiated into a secret society, entranced by an enigmatic magician, meet the impossible woman for who death knows no bounds, and enjoy an array of tricks, aerial acts and live music.
Lucy Enskat, artistic director of Hocus Pocus Theatre, and who performs in the show, said: 'It's a theatrical cabaret but not as people might expect.
'It's inspired by the Victorian era because we used the idea of the spiegeltent as a starting point. I wanted to do something that would make the audience feel like they were time travelling. It's also inspired by spiritualism, magic and ghosts.
You may also want to watch:
'It's set up in a way like a seance. People arrive and they are going to see some acts that lead up to one big act.'
Joining Lucy in the show will be aerial artist Daisy Black and mentalist Alex McAleer, both from Gossamer, double act Lipstick and Wax featuring burlesque dancer Natalya Umanska and puppeteer Paul Preston-Mills, and DJ Jazzlord. There will also be a macabre marching band featuring Ali Houiellebecq, Mark Read and Thomas Wilson. 'All of us are local and it's really nice to have the opportunity to show what we can do alongside the amazing line-up the festival brings to Norfolk,' said Lucy, adding it was dream to perform in the Adnams Spiegeltent.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
'It's so rich with its history and all the wonderful things that we know have performed there before. You cannot beat it. The beauty of it is that it disappears after the festival which makes it quite a magical setting.'
Night Magic is at the Adnams Spiegeltent on Monday and Tuesday next week.
Doors open at 9.45pm with side shows ahead of the performance which starts at 10.15pm.
After the show DJ Jazzlord will be spinning a heavenly mix of jazz and gems from his vintage vinyl collection.
To book tickets, visit www.nnfestival.org.uk or call 01603 766400.