Next Big Thing finalists announced
East Anglia's biggest music showcase Next Big Thing III is heading for an exciting final this weekend. Two semi-finals at Norwich Arts Centre have reduced the 12-strong shortlist to eight for Sunday's live final at the UEA LCR.
East Anglia's biggest music showcase Next Big Thing III is heading for an exciting final this weekend.
Two semi-finals at Norwich Arts Centre have reduced the 12-strong shortlist to eight for Sunday's live final at the UEA LCR.
The music showcase - run by the EDP in association with the Evening News and our sister titles the Evening Star and the East Anglian Daily Press - aims to put the spotlight on the brightest musical talent from Norfolk and Suffolk.
And hundreds of music fans had a taster of that talent with the two semi-finals at the St Benedict's venue on Sunday and Monday night. The 12 semi-finalists had been chosen from a record entry of almost 140 solo artists and bands who entered the contest this year.
You may also want to watch:
The first semi featured quirky singer-songwriter Alex Sheppard, funkster Mondatta Funk, power popsters The Suggestions, indie band Social Group, three-piece outfit Vanilla Kick and rockers Chemical Cocktail, while the second contest had the line-up of pop group Sam and Daisy, singer-songwriter Master Solo, indie group The Rebecas, power rockers HellCat, plus rock band New Diesel Music and Ipswich outfit Rosalita.
After some tough judging, the panel - consisting of music writers and industry insiders - whittled the 12 down to just eight.
- 1 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 2 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 3 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 4 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 7 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 8 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
The finalists are:
t Alex Sheppard
t The Suggestions
t Vanilla Kick
t Social Group
t Sam and Daisy
t The Rebecas
The short-listed acts are competing for a superb package of prizes, thanks to generous support from our sponsors, NR One Records, Purple Studios, Steeles Lawyers Soundcontrol, UEA, HMV and Anglia Drum Centre.
Each of the eight finalists will play three songs at Sunday's final. Doors will open at 6pm, with music starting at 7pm prompt.
Tickets are on sale at £5 from www.edp24.co.uk, EDP offices at Millennium Plain and Prospect House, Norwich, Soundcontrol, HMV and usual UEA outlets. Listen to the bands' tracks at www.EDP24.co.uk/Next Big Thing