What to watch: Here’s what’s coming to Netflix in February 2018
- Credit: Netflix
It's the shortest month of the year but it definitely won't be short of entertainment if you're signed up to Netflix. From sci-fi drama Altered Carbon to coming-of-age drama Everything Sucks! Monty Python to a new season of Queer Eye, we look at what you'll be watching next month.
With one hand it takes away (Nightmare Before Christmas is departing from the streaming giant's film store next month as are series one to eight of Family Guy) but with the other it gives – there are plenty of reasons to tune in to Netflix in February.
The biggest arrival of the month is Altered Carbon, a sci-fi series based on the 2002 novel by Richard K Morgan which stars James Purefoy, Joel Kinnaman and Renee Elise Goldsberry and tells the story of a man who is woken up after 250 years after being arrested and finds himself in a new body with a chance to win his freedom.
Think a cross between Bladerunner, Star Trek and James Bond with a bit Ghost in the Shell thrown in for good measure.
Other Netflix originals to look out for include the documentary about visionary advocate for women's rights Gloria Allred (Seeing Allred) in which we discover how events in her life have shaped her work and professional mission and a rumoured 'sleeper hit', comedy drama Everything Sucks!
You may also want to watch:
The coming-of-age drama follows two groups of high school misfits, an AV club (it stands for Audio Visual and used to be a club where members were trusted by teachers to work the film and slide projectors, the video cameras and the audio equipment) and a drama club who are growing up in the 1990s.
Two friends join forces to make a film (shades of Dawson's Creek) and Netflix hopes it will do for the 90s what Stranger Things has done for the 1980s (in other words, that Top Shop will release a variety of 1990's themed t-shirts and backpacks).
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 3 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 4 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 5 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 6 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 7 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 8 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 9 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
Film-wise, Quentin Tarantino fans will be able to watch the Kill Bill franchise and the entire American Pie back catalogue will also be available along with Oceans Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen and both Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers.
Blackadder series one and two will arrive as will the Monty Python back catalogue, from The Meaning of Life to The Holy Grail, the Flying Circus to The Life of Brian and we've still got episodes of Black Lightning, Riverdale, Star Trek and The Good Place to enjoy.
I'm excited for a new season of Queer Eye, a reboot of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, which returns for a new eight-part series with a new cast (sadly the original Fab Five aren't back) of gay men ready to give makeovers to straight men who need their help. There's Antoni Porowski who looks at diet and drinking habits, interior designer Bobby Berk, Karamo Brown who will be looking at lifestyle and culture, stylist Jonathan Van Ness and fashion expert Tan France from the good old UK.
Damnation looks interesting – an epic saga of the secret history of 1930s American heartland which stars Killian Scott as Seth Davenport, a man masquerading as a preacher in Iowa who hopes to kick-start full-blown insurrection against the status quo – as does Coach Snoop, in which rapper Snoop Dogg introduces the youth football league he created to keep kids from making the same mistakes as he did growing up.
Here are the highlights for February: prepare to be square-eyed by March.
Dropping on Netflix in February 2018
• Altered Carbon: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• Cabin Fever
• Coach Snoop: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• Kavin Jay: Everybody Calm Down! (Netflix Original)
• Luna Petunia: Return to Amazia: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• On Body and Soul (Netflix Original)
• Fred Armisen: Standup For Drummers (Netflix Original)
• Valor: Season 1
• Imposters: Season 1
• Queer Eye: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• 6 Days
• The Emoji Movie
• Fate/Apocrypha: Part 2 (Netflix Original)
• My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman: George Clooney (Netflix Original)
• Seeing Allred (Netflix Original)
• The Ritual (Netflix Original)
• The Trader (Sovdagari) (Netflix Original)
• When We First Met (Netflix Original)
• Greenhouse Academy: Season 2 (Netflix Original)
• Love Per Square Foot (Netflix Original)
• Deep Undercover Collection: Collection 2
• Re:Mind: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• DreamWorks Dragons: Race to the Edge: Season 6 (Netflix Original)
• Evan Almighty
• Everything Sucks!: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• Irreplaceable You (Netflix Original)
• First Team: Juventus: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• Blood Money
• The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale (Netflix Original)
• FullMetal Alchemist (Netflix Original)
• Bates Motel: Season 5
• The Frankenstein Chronicles: Season 1 and Season 2 (Netflix Original)
• Forgotten (Netflix Original)
• The Bachelors
• Atomic Puppet: Season 1
• Marseille: Season 2 (Netflix Original)
• Mute (Netflix Original)
• Seven Seconds: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• Ugly Delicious: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
• Jeepers Creepers 3
• El Vato: Season 2
• Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
• People You May Know
• Sin Senos sí Hay Paraíso: Season 2
• Derren Brown: The Push (Netflix Original)
• Marlon Wayans: Woke-ish (Netflix Original)