Colourful spectacle celebrates Norwich’s newest GoGoHare
- Credit: Mark Ivan Benfield
The theatrical nature of the latest GoGoHare meant that it was only fitting he was revealed during a special performance at one of Norwich's theatres.
Hare LeQuin, who was designed by artist Samantha Elmhurst and sponsored by Ashtons Legal, took centre stage at Norwich Puppet Theatre on Wednesday night during a colourful show created by Planet Theatre Productions.
He will be one of 50 hare sculptures in the GoGoHares trail being brought to Norwich by children's charity Break and Wild in Art this summer.
For more GoGoHares stories click hereInspired by the harlequin character from the Italian comedy tradition of Commedia dell'arte, Hare LeQuin was introduced at the end of a fun-filled spectacle directed by Peter Beck, with audience member Sarah Robertson winning the chance to perform the all-important task of unveiling the new hare sculpture.
The team at Ashtons Legal, which previously sponsored the sculpture Patch from the 2015 GoGoDragons! trail, are hoping the colourful and flamboyant hare will prove a hit with people of all ages on the new trail.
You may also want to watch:
Dave Richardson, Ashtons Legal client relationship manager, said: 'When we saw Sam's design we knew Hare LeQuin was for us.
'We are looking forward to seeing our mischievous little chap letting his hare down on the streets of Norwich this summer.'
Hare LeQuin is also linked to a special re-recording of a classic song from Manfred Mann which will be raising funds for Break.While artist Samantha Elmhurst painted Hare LeQuin she kept singing the song The Mighty Quinn in her head, and she has since done a re-recording of the track with Manfred Mann's lead singer Mike D'Abo.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 7 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 8 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 9 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 10 Former factory site to become a new church
The Mighty Quinn and Break are both celebrating 50th anniversaries this year, and details of when the charity single will be released will be announced soon.
The GoGoHares charity art trail is a key part of Break's 50th anniversary celebrations and will run from June 24 until September 8.
As well as the trail featuring 50 hare sculptures dotted around Norwich, there will also be 18 hares to find in the wider county. There will also be a Norwich trail of leverets sculptures decorated by schools and community groups. Visit www.gogohares.co.ukFollow Hare LeQuin's antics on Twitter at @HareLeQuinn