Mika Mika - Uncut Arena, Saturday
Emma LeeBrit Award-winning singer-songwriter Mika made his first festival appearance for two years in the Uncut Arena on Saturday afternoon.Emma Lee
Uncut Arena, Saturday
Brit Award-winning singer-songwriter Mika made his first festival appearance for two years in the Uncut Arena on Saturday afternoon. But would the flamboyant star's acoustic performance be as low-key as it sounded? Of course not. Before he took to the stage, paper aeroplanes were handed out to audience members with an instruction to throw them on hearing the words 'Scooby Doo', while his backing band were working some elaborate glittery headwear. And the man himself was resplendant in an orange neon jacket.
His 40-minute set was a romp through his greatest hits - the show opened with the jaunty chart topping Grace Kelly - and a sneak preview of some new songs, which will feature on his sophomore album to be released later this year.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 5 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 6 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 7 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 8 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 9 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
- 10 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
Mika has an incredible vocal range - the Freddie Mercury comparisons are spot on. And he's another performer who really knows how to put on a great show. Highlights included the Marmite-y Big Girl You Are Beautiful: you either find the lyrics empowering or patronising but it's a fantastic tune, Love Today, which was heralded by a shower of confetti, and the finale Lollipop, which saw Mika wearing a neon feather head-dress and banging on a makeshift beer keg drum before dozens of white balloons were released into the crowd. He was back with a bang.