Maddermarket Theatre’s general manager to step down from role at Norwich venue
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The general manager of one of Norwich's theatres is set to leave her post to retrain as a triathlon coach.
Rebecca Wass, who became the Maddermarket Theatre's general manager in June last year, will step down from the role in November but she will continue to work in a consultancy capacity at the venue until a new general manager is appointed.
Miss Wass, 36, who first arrived at the theatre in 2012 as an actor in the show Playhouse Creatures, said: 'I have loved my time in the theatre, working with a great team of staff, volunteers and a very supportive board as well as creating a great team for the future who understand the true ethos of the theatre and the direction it should be moving in which fits the purpose of the building.
'I'm excited to be moving onto a new challenge in the knowledge that the theatre, which I love, is in safe hands.'
Miss Wass has previously run ultra marathons and triathlons to raise funds for the theatre. While training to become a triathlon coach, she will also be working close by at The Lanes Clinic.
You may also want to watch:
She said she still plans to play a part in the Maddermarket Theatre's life and has already signed up to direct a show at the venue next August.
Miss Wass said: 'I'm incredibly excited to be returning to my first love of directing, and cannot wait to start the production process for Wind in the Willows.
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 5 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 6 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 7 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 8 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 9 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
- 10 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
'I'm also looking forward to becoming part of the volunteer force once a new general manager is in place.'
The Maddermarket Theatre will be beginning the recruitment process for a new general manager soon, with the advert for the role set to be published in the next few weeks.
Miss Wass said the hope is that the theatre's new general manager will be in post by January.
Tom Porteous, the chairman of the Maddermarket Theatre's board of trustees, paid tribute to Miss Wass' achievements during her time as general manager.
'On behalf of the board and the theatre's volunteer community, I'd like to thank Rebecca for her exceptional hard work,' he said.
'Working closely with the director of productions, Jez Pike, she has initiated a strong strategic plan for the future which holds close to the values of The Norwich Players.'