General Melchett revealed to have lived in Norfolk in Blackadder sketch
- Credit: BBC / Comic Relief / Children In Need
One of Blackadder’s best-loved characters General Melchett was revealed to have lived in Norfolk on a Blackadder sketch with Stephen Fry and Prince William on BBC’s Big Night In fundraiser.
On the show, which saw Comic Relief and Children in Need join forces to support charities and projects affected by coronavirus, Fry starred as Lord Melchett, whose grandfather was the eccentric general in Blackadder Goes Forth set during the First World War.
The sketch saw his grandson in their ancestral home at Melchett Manor and when introducing the skit, presenter Lenny Henry revealed they would be joining him from Norfolk.
Lord Melchett spoke over video call to Prince William, also in Norfolk at the Sandringham Estate, where they discussed everything from home-schooling to Netflix’s Tiger King.
Melchett also revealed that he was in isolation with Lord Blackadder, the grandson of Rowan Atkinson’s iconic character, and Baldrick - who he admitted smells of turnips.
At the end of the chat, the pair headed out on to the doorsteps of their Norfolk homes to start the weekly Clap for Carers.
You may also want to watch:
Actor and comedian Stephen Fry currently lives in West Bilney, near King’s Lynn, and spent his childhood in Booton, a village near Reepham.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler