Life model to play guitar while posing for artists at Norwich exhibition launch
Gallery visitors will be given the chance to do life drawing to music when model and guitarist Tom Conway combines both his roles at the launch of a new art exhibition in Norwich.
Mr Conway poses for the Norwich 20 Group's Thursday life drawing workshops at Wensum Lodge, and when the drawing group opens its third annual art show – Naked in Norwich 3 – this month he will be there as both the life model and the musical entertainment.
As well as being able to take a look at the works on display from more than 40 artists, guests will be given the opportunity to draw Mr Conway, from the Golden Triangle area of Norwich, as he plays the guitar.
Exhibition organiser Richard Cleland said: 'The intention is to offer people the chance to get a taste of life drawing, enhancing their visit to the exhibition.
'I believe this will be an interesting and fun private view generating comment, discussion and, hopefully, some cool artwork.'
Mr Conway, a 32-year-old guitar teacher, started doing life modelling about eight years ago and has modelled for the Norwich 20 Group for the last two years.
'I used to bring my guitar with me to play in the breaks [between poses] and one time one of the teachers suggested I pose with the guitar – a lot of Picasso's paintings are people with guitars,' he said.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 5 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 'TV naturalist suggests Western Link is not 'tolerable'
- 10 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
'I cannot move much during poses and the guitar keeps me occupied during long poses. I can practise the guitar while I am posing.'
He said of being a life model: 'It is quite interesting to see myself drawn by other people. Some of the drawings look like me and some don't at all. It is all people's interpretation.'
The Norwich 20 Group's Naked in Norwich 3 exhibition launch is on Monday, June 25, 7.30-9.30pm at St Margaret's Church of Art in St Benedict's. The launch is open to the public.
The exhibition, which is curated by Caroline Hoskin, will run from June 25 to 30 each day, 10am-5pm and admission is free.
Anybody wanting to join the Thursday evening life drawing workshops should contact Mr Cleland on 01603 630562. It costs �3 a session plus a �4 subscription fee per term. For more information about the Norwich 20 Group visit www.norwich20group.co.uk
For more information about music lessons with Mr Conway visit www.tomsguitar.co.uk
Are you involved in an unusual art project? Call reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email firstname.lastname@example.org