Lewisham Concert Band returns to raise funds
Mary RuddFor 12 years the Lewisham Concert Band has been coming to Norfolk to help raise funds for local charities and on October 10 they will be back again with what is promised to be another enjoyable evening.Mary Rudd
For 12 years the Lewisham Concert Band has been coming to Norfolk to help raise funds for local charities and on October 10 they will be back again with what is promised to be another enjoyable evening.
The band will be performing in St Nicholas' Church in Wells where the 40 very gifted amateur and professional musicians will put on a great evening at no charge to the organisers.
Their first appearance in the town was back in 1995 and they came through a connection with local man Gary Anthony, as he explains: 'I had grown up in Wells and later spent some 18 years as a professional musician in London.
'The conductor for the concert is Lesley Lake who I first met when we trained together at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Lesley is actually the principal bass trombone player with the English National Opera, so we are very fortunate in having him here in Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
'With an absence of just two years, the band have played their annual concert and helped us to raise hundreds of pounds for local charities. We also have the support of individuals and businesses who help with fundraising through sponsorship of the evening.'
This is a band which has made many appearances at prestigious events both in this country and abroad. Their programme this year will include both classical, film and show music which will provide entertainment for all tastes.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 8 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 9 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 10 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
Tickets are �8.50 each and they are available from Leftley's supermarket in Wells or by calling 01328 710154.