In Profile: Mary Epworth
With the Norwich Sound and Vision festival just around the corner here is a guide to the bands who will be performing in Norwich.
Band Profile: Mary Epworth has been around music as long as she can remember. Whether joining her father as a young child to take part in Gypsy music workshops; a figurative experience which resonates to this day with the concept of 'duende' running through her approach to composition, sharing her elder brother's heavy metal phase as a young teenager; favourite bands Saxon and Queensryche, or finding her true love in 60's West Coast psychedelia, the 70's Beach Boys and traditional English song, Mary Epworth has always been destined for a life in music.
Such a pre-ordained path is probably the sole reason that her debut album, 'Dream Life', exists. Early signs are that the four year wait for the album will be worth it. With lead single 'Black Doe' totting up repeat radio plays across 6 Music , Radio One and Radio Two and favourable comments from the likes of The Guardian and The Sunday Times already. Both 'Black Doe' and second single 'Long Gone' were singles of the week on 6music and Mary has also performed two sessions for the station.
You may also want to watch:
What the experts say: 'After initially making an impressive dent with the enticingly odd singles The Saddle Song and Black Doe in 2008 and 2009 respectively, this debut by East Anglian singer-songwriter Mary Epworth has had a long gestation.' - Colin Irwin, BBC
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 5 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 6 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree
- 9 City Council withdraws support for £153m Western Link
- 10 Coronavirus outbreak at construction company working on County Hall
Mary Epworth will be playing at the Norwich Arts Centre, Friday 12 October.
Box office 01603 763111
Book online at www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk/events