Sir Ian McKellen offering free tickets to 80-year-olds in bonus Norwich show
- Credit: Archant
Following the announcement on Friday of Sir Ian McKellan's 80th birthday tour in 2019, we can exclusively reveal he is doing an extra Norwich show to a specially invited audience.
Star of stage and screen Sir Ian is coming to venues across the UK next year, including dates at The Maddermarket Theatre from March 29 to 30 and Norwich Playhouse April 24 to 25.
Whilst tickets to the Playhouse shows have sold out, if you are celebrating your 80th birthday in 2019 then you could be in luck.
A bonus show of his Tolkein, Shakespeare, others...and you! tour is taking place on Thursday, April 25 at 2.30pm.
A total of 80 people who celebrate their 80th birthday in 2019 plus a guest will be able to enjoy the bonus performance free of charge.
You may also want to watch:
Archant is working alongside the Norwich Playhouse to find the VIP guests, who will need to celebrate their 80th birthday between January 1 and December 31 2019 and be a Norfolk resident.
To be a member of the audience, they must fit the criteria above and email email@example.com with their details.
READ MORE: Sir Ian McKellen coming to two Norwich theatres to celebrate 80th birthdayMake sure to include your name, address, date of birth, daytime phone number and if you have any specific access issues.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'
David Powles, editor of the Eastern Daily Press and Norwich Evening News, said: 'Ian McKellen has to be one of the most talented and inspirational actors this country has produced, therefore we are honoured to be able to give our readers the chance to enjoy such a special, intimate afternoon in his company.'
The idea behind the tour is to support theatres by helping to fundraise for projects important to them and his tour dates at the Playhouse will support the ongoing work with older people there and at sister venues Norwich Theatre Royal and Stage Two.
Stephen Crocker, chief executive of Norwich Theatre Royal, said: 'Norwich Theatre Royal and Playhouse are committed to Norfolk and its communities.
'We are delighted to be able to invite some very special residents of the county to come and be a part of this very special celebration with one of this country's finest and most respected actors.'
The show will be a mix of anecdote and acting, celebrating his countless roles including Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.
Tickets to Ian McKellen's Maddermarket Theatre dates also go on general sale on Friday, November 16 and they will also be running a £10 ticket ballot for students and unwaged.