I Have Been Here Before, Norwich
JOHN LAWSON Hot on the heels of the mysterious policeman in An Inspector Calls comes a mysterious German mystic.
Hot on the heels of the mysterious policeman in An Inspector Calls comes a mysterious German mystic. Add to the mix another brooding Yorkshire location and eerie foreboding music.
All a little formulaic perhaps, but this rarely-performed example of JB Priestley's meanderings amid time and space (actually written nine years earlier in 1937) is no less entertaining for it.
And that's as much to do with some first rate performances, Marcus Robinson's atmospheric set and Clare Goddard's nicely-paced direction.
You may also want to watch:
Pick of the performances are John Vesty's clairvoyant German and Sally Pratt's no-nonsense inn owner, both of whom are entirely believable amid the depths of a script which revels in its rich use of language but in which suspending your disbelief is the key to enjoyment.
Trevor Markworth and Jo Sessions also had their moments as the lovers far from in charge of their own destinies.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
t I Have Been Here Before continues at the Maddermarket Theatre until Saturday November 2. Box office: 01603 620917.