UEA LCR, Norwich
The LCR last night became hardcore heaven as the pumped-up crowd was treated to three bands that set out to get the dance floor heaving – and largely succeeded.
The impressive Biffy Clyro, whose Cousin It-haired guitarist and singing drummer helped their lead singer produce some intelligent – and at times funky – rock, followed uncompromising openers Senses Fail, who showed no mercy on either the crowd or their instruments as they gave new meaning to the word 'hardcore'.
Hundred Reasons were the band that everyone had come to see, though, and from the moment they entered the stage the crowd came alive.
Their poppier take on emotional hardcore ensured the emphasis was firmly on fun and in no danger of descending into introspective gloom.
The opening three songs set the tone – singles If I Could and I'll Find You displayed both real emotion and catchy, driving bass lines, and new song Harmony implored the crowd to “sing this with me now” – a request duly granted.
Hirsute lead singer Colin Doran's pure yet emotion-wrought voice proceeded to drive a set that never let up, accompanied by the rougher tones of guitarists Hibbit and Townsend, and some stirring choruses that were echoed by the crowd.
- 1 Rare insect spotted in Norfolk for first time in nearly 100 years
- 2 Crumbling coast fear means Norfolk's 'golf ball' radar must be moved
- 3 Norwich street named one of the most beautiful in the world
- 4 Pub gets dozens of calls asking - 'Do you know there's a dog on your roof?'
- 5 City chip shop might be SINKING but refuses to close
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 ‘Porn addict’ Norfolk doctor who secretly filmed women struck off
- 8 Seven people arrested after 50 vehicles stopped by police at Thickthorn
- 9 Yobs pictured climbing on vandalised charity dinosaur
- 10 Enjoy afternoon tea onboard a steam train in Norfolk this summer
Songs from new album Shatterproof Is Not A Challenge displayed a more mature edge to their sound and, despite a lack of variety in their material, Hundred Reasons impressed throughout.