‘I could cry’ - Houghton Festival cancelled due to bad weather
- Credit: © Photography by Jake Davis for Here & Now (fb.com/wearehereandnow)
Festival-goers have been left devastated after the Norfolk festival was cancelled just hours before it was due to start.
Houghton has become the second major festival to cancel this weekend, after Boardmasters in Newquay was also called off due to forecasts of high winds, heavy rain and thunderstorms this weekend.
Houghton Festival posted on Facebook at 10am on Thursday morning: "Over night, weather conditions on-site at Houghton Festival have dramatically worsened and are set to deteriorate further into the weekend.
"Tragically, following this morning's reports and further consultation with authorities, health and safety and all the festival directors, the decision has been made to cancel Houghton 2019.
"We are utterly devastated. All the hard work, love and creativity that has gone into planning and producing this year's event made this an almost impossible decision to make.
You may also want to watch:
"This was set to be a wonderful weekend and the boldest step we have ever taken as a festival.
"However, nothing is more important than the safety of our customers, staff and performers, which would be compromised if we were to go ahead.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 4 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 7 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 8 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
"Clearly this will cause a lot of disruption and a lot of questions.
"Please understand that this decision has been made with the deepest of consideration."
Learning of the news, Danielle Mae tweeted: "Houghton Festival is cancelled, I could cry."
Alex Harris tweeted: "Devastated Houghton Festival is cancelled. Have a motorhome and need somewhere to go... any ideas?"
Organisers also told customers that information regarding refunds will be available later today and asked people not to request them beforehand.
This year was set to be the third year of the dance music festival and it takes place at the Houghton Hall Estate, near Fakenham.