Hollyoaks actor set to play Aladdin in Norwich Theatre Royal pantomime
- Credit: Archant
Despite soaring temperatures and sunny summer days, Norwich Theatre Royal is already turning its attention to pantomime season...oh yes it is!
The city theatre has announced that former Hollyoaks actor Steven Roberts will play the title role in its 2018 festive show Aladdin.
Today he paid a visit to the theatre for some early pantomime preparations and he also enjoyed a trip to Norwich's Chapelfield Gardens.
'I think it will be a bit colder when I am back here in December!' joked the 28-year-old, who played sixth form student George Smith in Hollyoaks.
'I'm excited to be in Norwich over Christmas. I've been here quite a bit over the years because I have family here. I think it will probably be a really special place to spend Christmas.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Roberts, who is from Hertfordshire, said he was excited to take on his debut pantomime role and that he planned to make his character 'cheeky and a bit of fun'.
He also added he had fond memories of watching Norwich Theatre Royal pantomimes when he was younger.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 8 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
'I've seen the pantomimes here over many, many years because I have got family who live in Norwich and Lowestoft,' he said.
'We used to come to this theatre to see the pantomime when I was really little so there's a nice nostalgia to it. It's such a good pantomime, to be part of it is really exciting.'
When asked how he thought the pantomime would compare to working on Hollyoaks, he said: 'There will be more shouting and a lot more 'it's behind you' and boos and hisses! There's a few evil characters in Hollyoaks but no active boos and hisses!'
As well as TV work, Mr Roberts has also appeared in a number of stage shows including a UK tour of The History Boys, Bristol Old Vic's production of The Snow Queen, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the London Palladium, and the UK tour of Fracked! Or: Please Don't Use The F Word.
'I've loved doing theatre and being on stage, there's something about being on stage in front of a live audience that's so exciting, it's slightly different every time,' he said.
Mr Roberts is the third member of the Aladdin cast to revealed, with Theatre Royal pantomime favourites Richard Gauntlett and Ben Langley also set to star in the show.
• Aladdin will run from December 12 to January 13 - www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk