Hit musical makes a real splash in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Showers in early June are a sure sign that Wimbledon is just around the corner but there was no danger of rain stopping play at Norwich's Theatre Royal last night.
Singin' in the Rain splashed its way into Norwich after a spell at the West End.
The critically-acclaimed production has proved a smash hit in the capital and judging by the reception it received last night it will be the same story during its 11-night run here in Norwich.
Screen star Maxwell Caulfield, who has had a number of TV roles in the likes of Dynasty, Emmerdale and Casualty, plays studio boss RF Simpson while former Coronation Street actress Vicky Binns is Lina Lamont.
Binns proved a comic star as the uniquely sounding screen star Lamont who struggled to make the transition from silent movies to talking movies much to the exasperation of her crew including on-screen 'partner' Don Lockwood (James Leece).
You may also want to watch:
Stephane Anelli as Cosmo Brown, however, was the comic clown prince in a right royal roller-coaster of laughs, music and dance.
His exquisite timing and rubber limbs provided many of the highlights in this production which was like a variety show within a musical bursting with dance, song and comedy.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 6 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Plea for farmers to engage with public over footpath fears
- 10 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
This was a super slick production with terrific timing and incredible choreography.
The hit Hollywood musical – which remains one of the world's best loved movies – also featured a deluge of songs from the MGM score including Good Morning, the rip-roaring Make 'em Laugh, Moses Supposes, and of course Singin' in the Rain.
And talking of rain, the show featured 12,000 litres of water – and will do during every single performance during the run.
The first few rows donned water-proof ponchos for the show but not even a few thousand litres of water could dampen everyone's enthusiasm for what was a jolly, brolly good show.
Singin' in the Rain runs at the Norwich Theatre Royal until Saturday, June 14. For tickets call 01603 630000.