Hit musical makes a real splash in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Showers in early June are a sure sign that Wimbledon is just around the corner but there was no danger of rain stopping play at Norwich's Theatre Royal last night.
Singin' in the Rain splashed its way into Norwich after a spell at the West End.
The critically-acclaimed production has proved a smash hit in the capital and judging by the reception it received last night it will be the same story during its 11-night run here in Norwich.
Screen star Maxwell Caulfield, who has had a number of TV roles in the likes of Dynasty, Emmerdale and Casualty, plays studio boss RF Simpson while former Coronation Street actress Vicky Binns is Lina Lamont.
Binns proved a comic star as the uniquely sounding screen star Lamont who struggled to make the transition from silent movies to talking movies much to the exasperation of her crew including on-screen 'partner' Don Lockwood (James Leece).
Stephane Anelli as Cosmo Brown, however, was the comic clown prince in a right royal roller-coaster of laughs, music and dance.
His exquisite timing and rubber limbs provided many of the highlights in this production which was like a variety show within a musical bursting with dance, song and comedy.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 5 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 10 NCFC LIVE: Spirited City held to 0-0 draw by in-form Wolves
This was a super slick production with terrific timing and incredible choreography.
The hit Hollywood musical – which remains one of the world's best loved movies – also featured a deluge of songs from the MGM score including Good Morning, the rip-roaring Make 'em Laugh, Moses Supposes, and of course Singin' in the Rain.
And talking of rain, the show featured 12,000 litres of water – and will do during every single performance during the run.
The first few rows donned water-proof ponchos for the show but not even a few thousand litres of water could dampen everyone's enthusiasm for what was a jolly, brolly good show.
Singin' in the Rain runs at the Norwich Theatre Royal until Saturday, June 14. For tickets call 01603 630000.