Here Lies Baron Munchausen, Norwich
CHRISTOPHER SMITH Starting from the the city, Tom Watson is taking his one man Baron Munchausen Show on a tour of local pubs.
Starting from the Golden Star, Tom Watson is taking his one man Baron Munchausen Show on a tour of local pubs.
For an hour of good-humoured entertainment, it takes some beating – especially as it's free, except at venues where a meal is going to be served.
Generally, though, it is simply a matter of ordering a pint and sipping it down with the porkies. And what porkies!
You may also want to watch:
These had been fattened up, since the 18th century in fact, when they were brought over from Hanover, and now they are served up again with crackling wit and bare-faced sauce. Just a chair by way of a prop.
Cream breeches and an officer's velvet coat create the character, with a bit of help from a moustache that still curls in defiance at the passing of time.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 4 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 5 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 6 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 7 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 8 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 9 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
The Baron swears that every word is true, but with a twinkle in his eye. Time and again, “nevertheless” is the signal for the start of another whopper.
Heard the one about the horse that just couldn't stop drinking?
Got cut in half going through the portcullis, what went in one end just gushed out again.
Even better, what about the skein of ducks caught on a string baited with bacon? Now, there was a flight of fancy for you.
So tell it to the Marines and catch up with this production by David Gwyn Harris's Loose Cannon Company at a pub near you. It goes down a treat.
t The tour also calls at Hoxne, Wicklewood, Heydon, Lessingham, Barford, Reedham, Wymondham and Southwold, until December 12.