Hellesdon prepares for its annual carnival
Hellesdon is set to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee with a programme of carnival events tomorrow afternoon.
Attractions at the recreation ground in Middleton's Lane will feature arena events including dancers from local clubs, a dog display team and baton twirlers.
The Napoleonic War re-enactment team will be attending to impress and educate visitors, alongside Norwich Star Wars Club and the United School of Dance.
Around 50 stalls will be there, selling food and bric-a-brac and raising money for local charities.
The event begins at midday with a parade starting from Heather Avenue and proceeding along Reepham Road and Wood View Road. It will arrive at the carnival at 12.30pm, when the arena events will begin.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers remain hopeful that the weather will allow the day to go ahead uninterrupted by rain, but have put together a contingency plan to allow for wet weather.
The dog show, which will raise money for the Snetterton Dog's Trust, will be moved to the driest part of the field, along with other arrangements.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
Ken Owen, a member of the organising team, said: 'We're hoping for a better day than last year, which was a washout. The rain stopped everything from 3pm onwards. But we have our eye on the weather forecast and we're hoping against hope that it will remain dry.'
The carnival runs until 5.30pm. Contact Des Jones-Blackett on 01603 301751 for further details.
- To re-live last year's carnival, see the links at the top-right of this page and if you are attending tomorrow's carnival, submit your pictures and video to us via iwitness24.co.uk