Grammy nominated early music vocal ensemble Stile Antico teams up with King’s Lynn Festival Chorus
- Credit: Archant
The internationally acclaimed group will team up with the chorus to perform music of Spanish Renaissance composer Tomas Luis de Victoria in concert at the St Nicholas' Chapel.
Triple Grammy award nominated group Stile Antico, renowned for their exquisite performances of early music, are to give a concert in King's Lynn.
King's Lynn Festival Chorus will be hosting the early music vocal ensemble, renowned for vibrant and expressive performances of music from the Renaissance, in the acoustically inspiring St Nicholas' Chapel in King's Lynn on March 18.
Internationally acclaimed and highly respected by their peers, Stile Antico has performed at many of the world's most prestigious venues and festivals to rave reviews.
The group enjoys a particularly close association with London's Wigmore Hall and the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels, and has previously appeared at the BBC Proms and at Buckingham Palace.
You may also want to watch:
Their repertoire focuses on the rich legacy of 16th and 17th century polyphonic composition. It encompasses not only the music of Palestrina and his Italian, Flemish and Spanish contemporaries, but also the fascinating and diverse English school.
Performing without a conductor, their voices blend perfectly, sounding as one 'voice' of many parts - the holy grail that ensembles strive for.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 7 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 10 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
Their programme in King's Lynn will focus on music of that great Spanish Renaissance composer Tomas Luis de Victoria who lived at the time of King Phillip II of Spain.
Two of Victoria's best known masterpieces will be sung including his Tenabrae Responsories. The second will see Stile Antico join their hosts the King's Lynn Festival Chorus to sing the Officium Defunctorum of 1605.
Members of Stile Antico will have had spent some quality time with the Festival Chorus some weeks before preparing for their joint performance.
A spokesman for the Festival Chorus said: 'This concert shouldn't be missed by anyone who has an interest in the Renaissance, in the influential Medici dynasty of Florence for example, or the genius of Michelangelo. And listening to music of that period sung by acclaimed musicians in an inspiring setting of St. Nicholas' Chapel is a treat not to be missed.'
• Stile Antico will perform at St Nicholas' Chapel, King's Lynn, on March 18, 7.30pm, £25, 01553 76486, kingslynncornexchange.co.uk
• Information about other Festival Chorus events can be found at kingslynnfestivalchorus.co.uk