Goodwood Festival of Speed preview
Tony CooperEighty star drivers and riders are lined up for this year's festival running over the weekend of July 2-4 in the grounds of Goodwood House in west Sussex.Tony Cooper
Eighty star drivers and riders are lined up for this year's festival running over the weekend of July 2-4 in the grounds of Goodwood House in west Sussex while 20 world champions - who have notched up more than 70 world championship titles between them - will be present representing a wide variety of motor-sport disciplines.
As in past years a strong gathering of British F1 world champions will be in attendance including the likes of Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Sir Jackie Stewart and John Surtees.
And one can marvel at the skills of reigning F1 world champion, Jenson Button, charging up the famous and challenging 1.16-mile Goodwood hill-climb while his McLaren team-mate and 2008 world champion, Lewis Hamilton, will be in action, too, on the hill, in the company of current and fellow F1 competitors. They include the affable Australian title chaser Mark Webber who'll be taking to the wheel of his Red Bull while Nico Rosberg will be driving his Mercedes and Bruno Senna his uncle Ayrton's iconic McLaren MP4/8.
Past F1 champions and grand prix winners also grabbing some of the action include Emerson Fittipaldi, Mika Hakkinen, Sir Stirling Moss, Jochen Mass and Patrick Tambay.
And there's more. From the world of rallying comes festival first-timer, Miki Biasion, who'll be reunited with a Lancia Delta, American 'gymkhana' video and current WRC star, Ken Block, promises some wild action in his Ford while 2009 IRS champion, Kris Meeke, will be going sideways in his Peugeot as will IRC rival, Guy Wilks, in his Skoda.
Many other rallying greats will be reacquainted with the cars that made them famous with the team sheet including such legendary names as Rauno Aaltonen, Jimmy McRae, Russell Brookes, Bj�rn Waldeg�rd and Markko Martin.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 5 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 'TV naturalist suggests Western Link is not 'tolerable'
- 10 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
Motorcycling heroes racing to the finishing line include Giacomo Agostini, Kevin Schwantz, Chaz Davies, Neil Hodgson and Trevor Nation plus many others including 12-time trials champion and Goodwood legend, Dougie Lampkin.
And motor-racing legends coming from the USA include double Daytona 500 winner and Nascar stalwart, Michael Waltrip, as well as three-times Indy 500 victor, Bobby Unser, a regular at Goodwood and one of its favourites.
t Advance tickets: 01243 755055, www.goodwood.com