Gala day to go ahead at Norfolk Showground
Tara GreavesOne of the main fixtures on the Norfolk event calendar will go ahead this year, despite the county's police pulling out of the annual gala day, organisers have pledged.Tara Greaves
One of the main fixtures on the Norfolk event calendar will go ahead this year, despite the county's police pulling out of the annual gala day, organisers have pledged.
Hailed as the biggest event of its kind in the country and attracting more than 20,000 people, the Norfolk Police Gala Day had been running for 31 years until the force pulled the plug last month, saying it had become a victim of its own success.
However, Steve Thacker, who has organised the event for more than a decade, has joined with Norfolk Showground Ltd to produce a new gala for 2009 to be held on September 6.
Mr Thacker said: 'Old Gala was one of the most successful and popular events in Norfolk's calendar and we will continue to build on this success to attract more than 20,000 visitors to make the new Norfolk Gala Day the largest single event in Norwich, after the Lord Mayor's Show, and the third largest event in the county.'
This year's format will continue to provide opportunities for charities to raise funds as well as helping a wide range of public services and community groups to showcase their work.
The family fun day will also include:
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 9 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 10 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
t An action-packed main ring, with nationally renowned acts and local show favourites including the Raptor Trust.
t A full 'village green' programme for all the family with local dance groups, bands and children's entertainment.
t A wide range of trade, charity stands and sideshows.
t A collection of military vehicles.
t The most comprehensive collection of classic vehicles in the East of England.
t The Gala Old Car Rally for vehicles over 25 years old.
As reported in the EDP, a police spokesman said the gala had grown beyond its original aim of showcasing the force's work to become a major event, which no longer represented value for money.
t For more details, contact Norfolk Gala Day Office, 20 Windsor Park, Northgate, Dereham, NR19 2SU, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01362 693651.