Funding boost for Norwich art gallery
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A Norwich gallery is celebrating receiving a £47,500 grant to boost its work with artists.
Outpost, an artist-led gallery based in Wensum Street, will be given the funding from Arts Council England Grants For The Arts over three years.
The money will fund exhibition and residency opportunities for artists and also pay for training for Outpost's members and trustees.
'We're delighted about receiving this grant and excited for what is to come,' said Matt Wright, Outpost's chairman of trustees.
'Outpost will provide opportunities for emerging artists, and continue to be a significant stepping-stone for artistic professional development.'
You may also want to watch:
Nell Croose Myhill, a member of Outpost's steering committee, added: 'We are really proud as a volunteer artist-run organisation to have secured this grant, to enable Outpost to provide opportunities for local artists, as well and those working nationally and internationally, to make and exhibit new work in Norwich.'
Outpost was set up in 2004. Alongside the gallery, there is also an Outpost studios based at Anglia Square which is used by more than 80 artists working across film, sculpture, painting and performance.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 6 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 7 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 8 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 9 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
This new funding will help 18 artists hold solo exhibitions at the gallery, the first of which will be by Norwich University of the Arts graduate Jacques Rogers in May.
It will help Outpost deliver three events for artists each year, including a mix of film screenings, performances and artist talks, and hold an annual exhibition showcasing a selection of work by Outpost's members
It will also support month-long residencies for nine artists at Outpost Studios and enable Outpost to offer training to its members and the volunteer steering committee who run the gallery and studios.
Amy Botfield, Arts Council England relationship manager for the east, said: 'We are really pleased to be able to support Outpost's ambitious plans to provide opportunities for emerging artists through the exhibition programme and initiatives like Outpost Open Film. This grant will also help strengthen Outpost's role in promoting artists in the East of England through training and development opportunities for the committee.'
• The exhibition Puppies Puppies is currently at Outpost gallery and runs until April 17. It is open 12pm until 6pm Thursday to Sunday.
• Outpost Open Film 2016 - a show reel of artist films from Outpost members selected by Ed Atkins - will be screened on April 23 at 3pm at Cinema City.
• For more about Outpost, visit www.norwichoutpost.org
• Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org