7 Norfolk B&Bs that have appeared on Channel 4’s Four in a Bed
- Credit: Steve Adams
Channel 4’s Four in a Bed sees B&B owners across the country stay at each other’s establishments and pay what they think their stay is worth, with the winner being named the best value for money. Since the show launched in 2010, these are some of the B&Bs in Norfolk that have appeared.
1. Chimneys B&B, North Walsham
Owned by couple Jenny and Richard Harmer, Chimneys featured on the show in June 2012 and their bold B&B made an impression with every room named a royal palace, including Buckingham and Sandringham, and patriotic decor. A memorable moment came when Dutch couple Hans and Monkia called their use of a flag as a tablecloth disrespectful, leading to tensions over breakfast in the morning.
2. The Old Ram Inn, Tivetshall St Mary
The 17th century inn appeared in January 2018 and it boasts 11 en-suite rooms. The B&B is one of three owned by Victoria MacDonald, who also runs The Cellar House in Eaton and The White Lodge in Attleborough, and she visited establishments in Kent, Mablethorpe and Taunton during the competition.
3. SugarBeat Eating House, Swainsthorpe
Manager Stevie King and head chef Dave Lovett appeared on the show in 2015 and their B&B was crowned the winner. It was their hosting that particularly impressed their competitors, with one of their rival pairs putting 100 out of 10 on the feedback sheets. They put their win down to being “friendly and welcoming” and their breakfast was also a big hit.
4. Thomas Paine Hotel, Thetford
- 1 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 2 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 3 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 4 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 5 Dog and group cut off by tide saved after being spotted waist-high in water
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 8 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 9 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 10 Lowestoft's new beach huts hit the market at £30,000 each
The hotel, built from three 18th century cottages, featured on the show in October 2016 and is owned by Gez Chetal who arranged a Home Guard training exercise as the group activity. During the room tours, a saucy book in the bedside drawer was deemed inappropriate by another pair.
5. The Black Swan Inn, Horsham St Faith
The Black Swan Inn featured in November 2017, with the manager James Hall and owner’s son Adam Neale taking part. The B&B features luxury rooms and an on-site restaurant and pub.
6. Picaroons B&B, Sheringham
Couple Ian Abernethy and Christine Hendry won in October 2019 and put their success down to being good hosts and not making snide remarks about their competitors. Their activity was a trip on the North Norfolk Railway, which they believed helped them clinch the victory.
7. Grove Barn Bed and Breakfast, Denton
Another Norfolk B&B that competed against Picaroons, Grove Barn is located near the Waveney Valley and boasts three en-suite rooms. Owners Steph and Alan Flight chose to take their guests on a trip to the Suffolk and Norfolk Aviation Centre in Flixton.