Final visit for Jake, Elwood – and Huggy
The Blues Brothers @ Theatre Royal, Norwich. By John Lawson.
The Blues Brothers @ Theatre Royal, Norwich
By John Lawson
If this truly is going to be the Blues Brothers' final tour, as director David Leland has asserted it will be, then it is assured of going out on the high of highs.
The show knows the reception it's going to receive in East Anglia – and the production team names the Theatre Royal, along with Manchester and Belfast, as the three venues key to the whole 14-week tour.
And on its sixth visit to the theatre since 1992, the show is sold out for its entire run.
Everyone there is ready to party all the way to the very best in classic blues and soul – with every member of the six-strong cast and six-strong band a master of their art.
- 1 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 2 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 3 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 4 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 5 New headteacher appointed at village high school
- 6 Plans for 13 new homes near historic former railway line
- 7 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 8 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
- 9 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 10 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
As Jake and Elwood, Brad Henshaw and Simon Foster are surely the ultimate tribute duo to the legendary John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd with the bonus that they actually can sing better than either of them.
Their backing trio of Mike Henry, Alana Maria and Joe Speare all have their moments to bring the house down in their own right.
And on a night packed with 70s icons, who better to guest star than Huggy Bear – Antonio Fargas, himself a huge Blues Brothers fan.
The highlight for me on a night of highlights? Simon Foster's beautiful ballad version of the classic Under the Boardwalk.