Norwich festival celebrates women in the brewing industry
- Credit: Charlene Katuwawla
A festival raising a glass to women in the brewing industry is returning to a Norwich pub next month.
FEM.ALE Festival - thought to be the first event of its kind in the country - will once again take place at The Plasterers Arms, in Cowgate, from June 1 to 4.
This year marks the fifth anniversary of the festival, which over the last few years has grown to have events in Brighton, Nottingham and Sheffield as well as Norwich.
FEM.ALE director Erica Horton said: 'Since we started running the festival we've witnessed a positive seachange in the perception of women's roles in the beer industry, and hearing what we have to say.
'This is made all the more powerful, especially at the moment, when industries across the board are making a stand against sexism, racism, homophobia or discrimination of any kind.
'This has become the main talking point about how the brewing industry can stay relevant in British culture, while celebrating everyone who drinks beer.'
For this year's Norwich festival, Ben Thompson, landlord of The Plasterers Arms, has sourced a wide range of ales, lagers, stouts, porters, and saisons from female-led breweries across the UK and beyond.
- 1 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 4 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 5 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 6 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 7 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 8 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 9 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 10 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
Among the breweries being featured are Suffolk's Burnt Mill brewery, Norfolk's People's Brewery and Redwell, and East London-based Truman's brewery, and all four of these are creating new beers commissioned especially for FEM.ALE Norwich.
FEM.ALE will also be showcasing a brew from Humpty Dumpty's new Norfolk Broads Brewing range.
There will be a FEM.ALE launch party at The Plasterers Arms from 8pm until late on Friday, June 1 featuring DJs Kid n' Slay.
On Saturday, June 2 at 3pm there will be a festival podcast recording at the city pub featuring FEM.ALE director Erica Horton, Charlotte Cook from Truman's Brewery, photographer Nicci Peet and Leanne Rowe from Grain Brewery.
In collaboration with Sir Toby's Beers, FEM.ALE also currently has a pop-up stall at Norwich Market until Sunday, June 3.
FEM.ALE Festival runs from June 1 to 4 at The Plasterers Arms, in Cowgate, Norwich. Attending the festival is free but entry is on a first come, first served basis. For more information, click here