Fans queue for visit of Michael Palin to Norwich Waterstones store
Television adventurer Michael Palin made the journey to Norfolk today to sign copies of his latest book and meet his fans at a Norwich book shop.
Mr Palin is promoting his book, Brazil, which ties in with his latest BBC Television series and was greeted by around 60 people queuing to meet him at the Norwich Waterstones store, in Castle Street, this lunchtime.
Charlotte Kenyon, 49, who lives off Colegate in Norwich, started the queue at 7.30am and was delighted to get her copy of Brazil signed by the former Monty Python star.
Mr Palin, now 69 years old, said that he was pleased to be in Norfolk as he has family links with Nelson's County.
He said: 'My grandfather was a doctor in Fakenham and my father was born and brought up here, in a house called The Oaks, so I used to come here with my family on holiday to Sheringham for about 10 years, and also Southwold in Suffolk.
'I think the area has it's own style, I like it, it's not crowded and cluttered, it's not high-pressured. I feel like I calm right down when I come here, with all the nice country lanes and hedgerows and all those type of things.'
Mr Palin's book chronicles the four months he spent in Brazil recording his new TV show, his latest in 25 years of filming in countries all over the world.
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 6 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 7 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 8 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 9 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
He continued: 'The book has all the high points of the television show plus a lot from my own diary of the journeys.
'When I heard Brazil was hosting the next Olympics in 2014 and World Cup in 2016, and everyone talking about the economic power of the country, I just thought, I've got to go and see this.
'I've seen most of South America and most of the biggest countries in the world, but Brazil is the fifth biggest in the world so I thought it was time I went there.'
- Did you get your photo taken with Mr Palin? Send us your photos and videos at www.iwitness24.co.uk