Fans queue for visit of Michael Palin to Norwich Waterstones store
Television adventurer Michael Palin made the journey to Norfolk today to sign copies of his latest book and meet his fans at a Norwich book shop.
Mr Palin is promoting his book, Brazil, which ties in with his latest BBC Television series and was greeted by around 60 people queuing to meet him at the Norwich Waterstones store, in Castle Street, this lunchtime.
Charlotte Kenyon, 49, who lives off Colegate in Norwich, started the queue at 7.30am and was delighted to get her copy of Brazil signed by the former Monty Python star.
Mr Palin, now 69 years old, said that he was pleased to be in Norfolk as he has family links with Nelson's County.
He said: 'My grandfather was a doctor in Fakenham and my father was born and brought up here, in a house called The Oaks, so I used to come here with my family on holiday to Sheringham for about 10 years, and also Southwold in Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
'I think the area has it's own style, I like it, it's not crowded and cluttered, it's not high-pressured. I feel like I calm right down when I come here, with all the nice country lanes and hedgerows and all those type of things.'
Mr Palin's book chronicles the four months he spent in Brazil recording his new TV show, his latest in 25 years of filming in countries all over the world.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 8 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
He continued: 'The book has all the high points of the television show plus a lot from my own diary of the journeys.
'When I heard Brazil was hosting the next Olympics in 2014 and World Cup in 2016, and everyone talking about the economic power of the country, I just thought, I've got to go and see this.
'I've seen most of South America and most of the biggest countries in the world, but Brazil is the fifth biggest in the world so I thought it was time I went there.'
- Did you get your photo taken with Mr Palin? Send us your photos and videos at www.iwitness24.co.uk