Ex Corrie star to compere folk evening
Richard Batson Actor Geoffrey Hughes is heading to Cromer pier to add a bit of “soap” to the water. The man famous for being Eddie Yeats in Coronation Street and Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances, will compere an evening of folk music with a charity twist.
Actor Geoffrey Hughes is heading to Cromer pier to add a bit of “soap” to the water. The man famous for being Eddie Yeats in Coronation Street and Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances, will compere an evening of folk music with a charity twist.
The event on Thursday, May 8, will see the launch of a new CD set called Never Chance Your Luck Against the Sea, which features music from top folk artists, including Fairport Convention, raising money for the local lifeboat.
Another £3,000 raised from a similar CD and a special Fairport EP in the past will also be handed to the Cromer RNLI station on the night.
Organiser Scott Butler said it was hoped to raise more money for the lifeboat with the new 30-track CD, and it was a coup to get the help of Mr Hughes - a big Fairport and folk fan, who also sang and played the Irish bodhrun drum.
The event is on the eve of the 10th anniversary Cromer Folk on the Pier weekend, which sees a mix of sellout pier concerts and informal fringe sessions at local pubs and clubs.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 7 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 10 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
Tickets - costing £10 - for the lifeboat concert at 7.30pm on May 8 are available through the Pavilion Theatre box office on 01263 512495.
Folk on the Pier runs from May 9-11. Details of fringe events are on www.folkonthepier.co.uk