Ed Sheeran to battle it out for Mercury Prize
- Credit: PA
Ed Sheeran will compete against friend Stormzy for this year's Mercury Prize.
The Framlingham star has had a jam packed year from performing at Glastonbury, featuring in Game Of Thrones and dominating the UK Charts, but that's not the end of the list.
Ed's next challenge will be competing against grime star Stormzy for the Mercury Prize.
Sheeran and Stormzy collaborated on the Shape Of You remix track and now both of their recent albums have been shortlisted for the prestigious prize.
The list features Ed's album Divide, Stormzy's Gang Signs And Prayers album, as well as Alt-J's Relaxer record.
You may also want to watch:
This will be the first time The Castle on the Hill singer has made the shortlist, whereas Alt-J will be hoping to collect their second Mercury crown.
The Hyundai Mercury Prize is there to recognise the best British album of the year. Jamie Callum, Ella Eyre, Lianne La Havas and Marcus Mumford are just four of the 12 judges who created the shortlist.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 6 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars
Revealing the shortlist, the judges said: 'This year's Hyundai Mercury Prize shortlist celebrates the remarkable power of British music.
'What these artists have in common is an infectious pleasure in music making and an arresting sense of urgency about the music they make.
'They delight in exploring musical possibilities and refusing to be pinned down by genre conventions.'
Last year the Mercury Prize was won by grime artist Skepta for his album Konnichiwa, beating David Bowie's Blackstar.