Dual theatre role on and off stage for North Walsham actor
- Credit: AndiSapey
A young actor is learning nursing skills as well as lines as he prepares for a summer drama season in his native Norfolk.
Ryan Starling,24, from North Walsham, is taking two roles in the 'rep' programme at Sheringham Little Theatre. But he is also studying a nursing degree to help bolster his finances, and 'do something worthwhile,' during the spells between acting jobs.
He said: 'It is difficult to support yourself financially as an actor. Some people do bar and restaurant work, but I wanted to do something useful which also gave me the flexibility to put acting first.'
This summer Ryan will play Peter, one of the Railway Children in the classic adventure story which is one of the Sheringham venue's five-strong summer drama line-up. He is also Tristram in the Alan Ayckbourn farce Taking Steps.
It will be Ryan's third season at the theatre, whose youth outreach work has helped him forge his acting career.
And aspiring actors are being sought to appear in the production with Ryan.
The roles are a big commitment, with rehearsals in August and shows running from August 10-16 (7.30pm daily and matinees on the 11 and 13).
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 7 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 8 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 9 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 10 Countryfile to highlight controversial Norfolk road scheme
Specific requirements are a female aged 40 plus to play various characters, a female aged 18-30 with roles including a child and a male aged 18-30 playing a variety of roles including a child.
Auditions are on May 8 at Sheringham Little Theatre from 11am to 1pm. Applicants are asked to email a brief resume in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.