Dereham Theatre Company to celebrate 70th anniversary with performances of The Producers
- Credit: Archant
For 70 years the Dereham Theatre Company has provided entertainment to the local community through a variety of performances.
Now, the group is undertaking its next big piece of work by celebrating its 70th anniversary with several performances of The Producers in October.
The popular musical will be on show from October 2 to October 6 at Dereham Memorial Hall.
Originally a Mel Brooks Broadway hit, The Producers concerns two theatrical producers who scheme to get rich by overselling interests in a Broadway flop.
However, the show takes a huge twist when hilarious complications arise as the show unexpectedly turns out to be successful.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the Dereham Theatre Company Sophie Blanks said: 'After last year's glitter and rainbows production of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, it seemed fitting to return to more traditional material for our 70th anniversary musical production.
'Nothing says tradition quite like ridiculous accents, national stereotypes and show business in-jokes.'
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
Dereham Theatre Company, formerly known as the Dereham Operatic Society, was formed in 1948 as a charitable trust to offer the local community education in amateur dramatic arts.
The group stages several shows a year including an autumn musical and a Christmas pantomime, which this year will be a performance of Sleeping Beauty.
In recent times, the organisation has performed shows such as Cats, A Passionate Woman, Beauty and the Beast and The Wizard of Oz.
Following this year's performances of The Producers, next year the Dereham Theatre Company will present their adaptation of the popular British TV series Hi-de-Hi, which revisits the 1950's and Maplins Holiday Camp with its host of colourful characters.
Each night of The Producers will start at 7.30pm. To buy tickets for the show, visit http://www.dosoc.co.uk/ or either visit Bright and Beatiful Flowers on Wellington Road or contact 01362 288124.
Are you part of a local theatre, arts, music, entertainment or community group that is putting on a show or event? Get in touch with our reporter Dan Bennett by emailing the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.