EMMA LEE The Waterfront, Norwich
The Waterfront, Norwich
For a band that started out as a joke unable to play their instruments, Brazilian six-piece CSS are doing pretty well for themselves.
Mixing disco punk with an ear for a great pop melody, they have gone from the underground Sao Paolo art scene to style magazines, getting signed by one of the most influential indie record labels (the Seattle-based Sub Pop, which was home to Nirvana during their formative years) along the way.
The name is short for Cansei De Ser Sexy, which is Portuguese for Tired of Being Sexy, which is allegedly based on a Beyonce quote.
Fronted by singer Lovefoxxx, they played the sold-out show on a night off from an NME-branded tour of hotly tipped new bands.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 5 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 6 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 7 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 8 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 9 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
- 10 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
But last night they proved they had already arrived. Highlights of the set included the singles Off The Hook and Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above.
The band may have style magazine approval, but they showed they also have substance.