Cromer Pier Halloween trail cancelled
A Halloween trail in Cromer this afternoon has been cancelled because of high winds and rough seas.
The event, which is being run by the organisers of Cromer Carnival, was scheduled to start on the pier forecourt at 4.30pm.
Kate Royall, of Cromer Carnival, said waves had been washing on to the promenade and pier at high tide and rocks from the sea bed were all over the concrete walkway.
She said the trail would have taken place on the promenade close to the high tide time and organisers felt it wouldn't be safe. She added that organisers had planned to build shelters on the pier as part of the trail but with winds expected to reach up to 40mph today, they feared they would blow away.
'We don't want to put the children in danger,' she said. 'It is not safe enough to do it. The pier is really slippery and the tents we wanted to put up are likely to be blown away.
'The weather forecast indicates condition are likely to get worse but even if it brightens up there is still a danger from the sea coming on to the promenade. Hopefully we will be able to reschedule for next week.'
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 6 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 7 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 8 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 9 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 10 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park