Celebrity support as Cromer’s Seaside Special hits home straight
Cromer Pier's Seaside Special has hit the home straight with the morale boost of some celebrity support.
The cast will be performing its final show - the Best of the Seaside Special - at 2.30pm and 7.30pm between now and September 24.
And those involved can reflect on being watched by some big names during their spectacular summer performances at the end of the pier.
Film star John Hurt, who lives in East Runton, attended the opening night and former prime minister John Major visited the shows twice.
Mr Major is understood to have preferred show two, Radio Waves, while his wife Norma was a fan of show one, New York City Rhythm.
You may also want to watch:
Television and film actor Roger Lloyd Pack has also seen the show.
Today there are 55 piers left in Britain and Cromer is unique in that it still provides a traditional end-of-pier show during the summer season in its pavilion theatre.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 3 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
Executive producer Rory Holburn, of Openwide Coastal, said: 'Our customers have particularly enjoyed Steve Hewlett and the famous ventriloquist dummy Archie Andrews.
'This season to date the audience has munched its way through 3,300 bags of crisps, 9,000 tubs of ice creams, 5,000 Cornettos, 35,000 Whippy ice creams, 77,000 hot drinks and 300,000 grams of traditional sweets.
'By the time the season finishes, the hard working cast will have sung 3,904 songs and had 14,640 costume changes.'
Openwide Coastal currently manages the pier and the pavilion theatre on behalf of North Norfolk District Council and produces and stages the Seaside Special show.
The shows are a mix of entertainment, performed by all the cast as tradition dictates. Comedian Paul Adams and vocalist Rob McVeigh - a finalist from the television programme Any Dream Will Do - perform alongside female vocalist Scarlet Gabriel.
Csaba is a speciality act performing breathtaking stunts on his BMX.
The Seaside Special dancers perform precise choreography routines, wearing costumes designed by Laura Whyte.
? To book tickets and check times for the remaining Seaside Special shows, call the box office on 01263 512495.