FRANK CLIFF The Cut,HalesworthA link with Aldeborough Productions has proved quite a coup for New Cut Arts, seeing the establishment of afternoon recitals by young artists participating in the Aldeborough Residency.
A link with Aldeborough Productions has proved quite a coup for New Cut Arts, seeing the establishment of afternoon recitals by young artists participating in the Aldeborough Residency.
Despite the winter's cold there was a good sized audience for the Carducci Quartet performing here the day before they appear at Aldeborough's Jubilee Hall.
You may also want to watch:
Standards these days are invariably high, yet it is not often one hears a quartet which has such a strong musical personality as the Carducci.
Their sound is rich and vibrant, the quartet is well balanced with excellent technique and, above all, they have that rare ability to make a performance sound spontaneous.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 9 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 10 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
The latter may involve some risk taking, but in Haydn's Opus 50, No.6, a work which fully emancipates all the instruments and contains especially virtuosic writing for first violin, nothing detracted from the excitement of their music making.
To a large extent this could also be said of their performance of the Ravel quarter, a fine reading which captured all the vitality of this magical score if not quite all its poetry.
There were occasions when they didn't quite reveal the subtlety of Ravel's scoring - the magical opening of the work, the beginning of the slow movement.
Even so, a fine performance and justly received with rapturous applause.