Bug 3: The Evolution of the Music Video
Simon ParkinNorwich PlayhouseSimon Parkin
A night watching music videos in a theatre doesn't sound like the description of the most promising of evenings, but it belies the simple appeal of Bug, which somehow man-ages to mix comedy, music and film into something so simple you wonder why no one thought of it before.
Bug began as a showcase of new, rare and cutting-edge videos at the BFI on London's South Bank, which quickly began to draw big crowds of hipsters and budding filmmakers.
The nights are hosted by comedian Adam Buxton - one half of Adam and Joe, BBC6 Music's funniest DJs - who, luckily for us, happens to live in Norfolk. So Norwich gets the only regional off-shoot. This was the third, the previous two being so popular that it is now held over two nights.
What it isn't, despite its title, is a history of the music video. Instead it's more a chance to see the work of hugely-talented directors and videos you just otherwise wouldn't see - unless you go trawling the nether reaches of YouTube.
Some were clever and award-winning - Shynola's chalk pavement masterpiece for Coldplay's Straw-berry Swing; some beautiful in their intricate construction - a plasticine riot for Grizzly Bear's Ready, Able; and others just downright bizarre - a surreal bump-and-grind take on Major Lazor's Jamaican dancehall.
- 1 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 4 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 5 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 8 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 9 'I can't stop Western Link work starting in my woodland'
- 10 Jailed this week: County lines gang and man found with cocaine in his car
Throw in a few of Adam's own comic creations and you've got the perfect night in with a mate watching some great videos. If your mate just happens to be a top comedian.