Boudicca inspires the latest GoGoHare to be revealed
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni, has inspired the latest GoGoHare to hop into Norwich.
Called Boudicc'Hare after the warrior queen, the newest GoGo star was unveiled at an event at the Assembly House where she was also celebrated with a very elaborate cake that was made in her honour by Wymondham-based Ellie's Cakery.
Boudicc'Hare will be one of 50 GoGoHares that will decorate Norwich throughout summer 2018 as part of a special trail being brought to the city by children's charity Break and Wild in Art.
She has been designed by artist Helen L Smith, who previously created the GoGoDragon! GoGo King Tut, and both GoGo characters were sponsored by the collective Friends of the Iceni.
Boudicc'Hare's grand entrance was made at a monthly 'Tweet up' event with the Friends of Iceni on Thursday, and her design makes reference to the legend that when in battle Boudicca would release a hare from the folds of her clothes and take the direction it ran as a sign of which direction she should travel.
You may also want to watch:
Colin Jeffery, director of Iceni Magazine, which is part of Friends of Iceni, said: 'The name for our hare was an obvious choice but the design was intended to turn the famous story of Queen Boudicca releasing a hare from her gown on its head, with the hare being the carrier of Boudicca instead.
'Huge thanks to our wonderful artist Helen L Smith for realizing our vision so perfectly.'
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 10 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
The Friends of Iceni is a collective of 18 local independent businesses including: Iceni Magazine, Spot On Savings, DSS Digital Media, Aspiration Europe, Inspired Youth, Deepdale Backpackers & Camping, Dalegate Market, Jabbawocky, Norfolk Veg Box, Jill Watkinson, The Space, Ellie's Cakery, Happy Feet Reflexology, Eastern Financial Consultants, Lamb 'Social Media Management', Buy Local Norfolk, Boudicca Brewing Company and Bluebird Care (Norwich).
People will be able to follow Boudicc'Hare's adventures via @BoudiccHare on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
The GoGoHares trail of 50 hares in Norwich will run from June 24 until September 8. There will also be a second city trail of leverets created by schools, sports clubs and community groups, and a third trail around the county of 18 moongazer hares.
For more information, visit www.gogohares.co.uk