Blickling Hall gears up for patriotic Spitfire and proms concert
A picnic-style proms concert is gearing up to provide a summer spectacular in the grounds of Blickling Hall - and the sky above it- this weekend.
The 54-piece Sinfonia Viva orchestra and soprano Annette Wardell will provide a mixture of soothing and rousing music at the outdoor classical concert on Saturday.
But overhead there will be a flying display by a legendary Spitfire fighter flown by Carolyn Grace, choreographed to the music of William Walton's Spitfire Prelude, and a fireworks finale as the evening turns to night.
The audience is being encouraged to bring picnics and wine to the event which is the only concert at the National Trust hall this year.
The Last Night of the Blickling Proms concert will reach a patriotic climax to the strains of Jerusalem, Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory before the 600 fireworks are lit for a truly British celebration.
Lisa Ward from concert promoters Revival Productions said the event would be a 'great British celebration with lots of audience participation!
'We are now on final countdown and all the fine tuning is being done. Tickets sales have taken off since the start of the good weather and we have a really good-sized crowd which we know from experience, will create a wonderful atmosphere on the evening.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
The concert is being sponsored by Belling cookers, and there is a chance for a to win a limited edition �1,500 range cooker with electric oven and gas hob on the evening by registering at the main entrance.
The gates open at 4pm with the concert starting at 7.30pm. The Grace Spitfire will appear at 8.15pm to conclude the first half before an interval from 8.30-9.15pm. The second half runs from 9.15-10.15pm.
Tickets are �32 (�35 on the night) from the box office on 01263 734711 or online via www.revival-productions.co.uk.