Beyond The Breakers
Seagull Theatre, Lowestoft (on tour to May 28)
> Seagull Theatre, Lowestoft
“They got a bit of weather tonight” – prophetic words because the intrepid Seagull theatre patrons had to battle through a blizzard to see Beyond the Breakers, directed by Ivan Cutting about a fishing family who were also members of an RNLI lifeboat crew. We were not disappointed.
Hangdog (David Redgrave) is a lifeboatman of the old school and an even older fishing family.
In his day they fought hard for their place in the crew, weathered storms, sands and sea in their mission to save lives and never turned back.
You may also want to watch:
Excellent writing takes you through a docudrama of the history of the lifeboat from the old days of pull and sail through to the modern motor launches of today.
The drama was gripping, the humour ironic and very real, and the five cast (from Eastern Angles) all put in strong performances.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 3 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 4 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 5 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 6 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 9 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 10 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
Roger Eno and Pat Whymark arranged the music sympathetically, with the cast's harmonic folk-style singing blending beautifully, the use of a minimalist set effective.
A fast-moving production – well worth braving “a bit of weather” for.
t Beyond The Breakers continunes tours the region until May 28. Full details at www.easternangles.co.uk