As Norfolk says goodbye to Mr D’s here are 9 other American diners to visit
- Credit: Archant � 2009
Now that Mr D's, a 50s-themed diner near Attleborough, has closed, we take a look at some of the other great American restaurants across the county where you can get your foodie fix.
• Arbuckles Restaurant & Bar, Downham Market
Owned and operated by John and Maxine Murphy, parents of football stars Jacob and Josh Murphy, Arbuckles now has two restaurants, one in Downham Market and the other in Ely. The Downham Market restaurant boasts 340 seats, with three rooms and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tempting items on the menu include Kentucky Bourbon Ribs, Cajun Jambalaya, Gumbo, Chicken Fried Waffle and Baileys Banoffee Pie.
• Zaks American Diner, various locations
There are four Zaks American Diners across the county, located in Thetford, Norwich, Mousehold and Poringland. The business first opened in 1976 and has gone from strength to strength since then. Stop by to enjoy dishes such as Loaded Nachos, Mac 'N' Cheese, Sizzling Fajitas and a large selection of milkshakes - including one made with ice cream and custard.
You may also want to watch:
• Smokey Joes American Bar and Grill, Ditchingham
This family run business on the Norfolk/Suffolk border offers a range of locally sourced meats cooked in an American style open char grill, as well as stocking a range of American beers. Highlights on the menu include a meat platter with wings, ribs, chilli skins, and southern fried chicken strips, burgers, banana split and key lime pie.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 4 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 5 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 6 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 7 The top-rated McDonald's in Norfolk according to Tripadvisor
- 8 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 9 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 10 Husband donates £1m to cancer research so 'no one else goes through same pain'
• Captain America's Hamburger Heaven, Norwich
Captain America's has been offering the people of Norwich a taste of the USA since it opened back in 1972. The menu offers a range of dishes, from chili con carne, BBQ chicken and steak, but the real star of the show is of course the chargrilled hamburgers. Options include the smokehouse, chiliburger, deluxe, mushroom burger and the heavenly hamburger.
• Nick's Diner, Deopham
Established in 1983, Mick's Diner is a family run restaurant that is filled with a range of historic memorabilia and sets the mood for customers by playing music from the 50s and 60s. Burgers are also the main attraction on the menu but their dessert offerings are not to be missed, with brownies, sundaes and banana splits all available.
• Bia Kitchen, Norwich
Looking for American style food with a twist? Head to Bia Kitchen, Norfolk's very own vegan street food diner. Located in the heart of Norwich's historic market on row B, stalls 54/55, Bia cooks up dishes such as philly cheese steak and burgers using alternatives to meat, caulifire bites and mac 'n' cheese.
• Fatso's, Norwich
A 1920's/30's style diner decked out with stylish souvenirs from the famous mobster period in American history, this restaurant, bar and grill has a large selection of tasty treats on offer, from loaded fries, sandwiches and seafood to waffles, fudge cake and ice cream sundaes.
• The Station Smokehouse, Hoveton
Located on Hoveton and Wroxham station platform, The Station Smokehouse serves handmade burgers, smoked meats and fish all cooked over a woodfired grill. Popular dishes include pulled pork, ribs, steak burger and nachos.
• Porterhouse, Gorleston-On-Sea
Poterhouse bar and grill is a great place down by the coast, offering seaside views and serving up a range of steaks, burgers, ribs, and fish for dinner as well as a selection of breakfasts, lunches and desserts.
• Have you tried any of these diners? What did you think? Let us know in the comments below.