FRANK CLIFF St Peter Mancroft, Norwich
> St Peter Mancroft, Norwich
Balanescu is something of a maverick among performers: prolific composer as well as virtuoso violinist and leader of a string quartet which more often than not eschews the mainstream repertoire.
In this recital, he tackled works which present perhaps the most formidable challenge to any violinist: solo sonatas and partitas by Bach.
You may also want to watch:
In both the first B minor Partita and the first G minor Sonata, he demonstrated an immaculate technique and produced an elegant sound.
This was playing of the greatest refinement yet the most remarkable quality of these performances was the feeling of spontaneity.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 6 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 7 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 8 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 9 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich
- 10 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
Purists might object to Balanescu's occasional addition of some improvisation of his own in the B minor Partita, yet somehow it seemed quite natural, contributing to the seamless flow.