FRANK CLIFF St Peter Mancroft, Norwich
> St Peter Mancroft, Norwich
Balanescu is something of a maverick among performers: prolific composer as well as virtuoso violinist and leader of a string quartet which more often than not eschews the mainstream repertoire.
In this recital, he tackled works which present perhaps the most formidable challenge to any violinist: solo sonatas and partitas by Bach.
In both the first B minor Partita and the first G minor Sonata, he demonstrated an immaculate technique and produced an elegant sound.
This was playing of the greatest refinement yet the most remarkable quality of these performances was the feeling of spontaneity.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 4 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 7 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 8 Factory worker was found dead at home, court told
- 9 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 10 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
Purists might object to Balanescu's occasional addition of some improvisation of his own in the B minor Partita, yet somehow it seemed quite natural, contributing to the seamless flow.